2017, That's a Wrap

Language: English


You know, when people posted their end-of-year thingy on whatever social media accounts they have, you became socially pressured to do the same. Sadly though, if you've known well enough, I'm not one to post something basic without any meaningful content, like just 'Happy New Year' or '2017 has been a roller coaster ride, here's to 2018', something along those lines. If I were to post anything on social media, as always, it's gonna be a long rant. Indeed it will be, hence this blog post.

I recently discovered a song on my "The Ones that Got Away" spotify playlist, called Moments (Bliss n Eso ft James Gavin). This song is all about celebrating the many first times, be it good or bad, and when I think of the year 2017, the first word that comes to mind is 'experience.' My first experiences. This year, I explored outside my bubble, met and bonded with the important people in my life and pursued my dreams and hobbies. For the first time in the longest time, I have lived and loved, laughed and cried. Terrified but always hopeful, and learnt to accept my flaws. 2017 has been a transformative year, (and finally to the cliche part) and I look forward to the best for the years to come!

Finally, to everyone who has made my year amazingly special, Thank you. Terimakasih. 谢谢. Danke Schön.

To all the first times:

  1. First time traveling around Europe. Prague was lovely <3
  2. First time taking photography seriously. 
  3. First time breaking a camera lens. Fk me.
  4. First time traveling alone in a foreign country, not knowing the local language.
  5. First time riding a 17 hour long bus next to a guy who smelled like weed. Fk me.
  6. First time visiting Bern after failing to make the IBO. Almost teared up to see how far I've come :')
  7. First time living outside the US and Indonesia. Regensburg!!
  8. First time teaching electrical circuits in a foreign country. It was, not easy.
  9. First time living with a host family. To the Melzl family, thank you for the experience. Though I'm still not a fan of the Rocky Horror Show, I'm forever grateful for my time with you guys.  
  10. First time beer tasting.
  11. First time ever feeling tipsy.
  12. First time hating the snow. Like, really despise it after Hamburg. 
  13. First time hating the MBTA.
  14. First time taking gym seriously.
  15. First time joining a dance group. YAY ADT!
  16. First time getting serenaded by the MIT Logarhythms. Never been so embarrassed in my life, and I still don't know who sent it.  
  17. First time feeling so shitty during my birthday, but then the surprises made my day. 
  18. First time getting the all the Indonesian undergrads together for a nice picture.
  19. First and last time asking a girl out with an email. Those dark times.
  20. First time using Snapchat. If you know me personally, add me!!!! I'm fun (sometimes).
  21. First time road tripping in Puerto Rico (before the storm hits) with a bunch of fun dumbasses. 
  22. First time wearing my own brass rat. 
  23. First time trying Yume. It was dreamy.
  24. First time (somewhat) liking my major (after 20.109. Thank you Alex for being a hilarious lab partner). 
  25. First time getting the top score in an MIT class (of >150 students). Apparently, it only takes 1 StD above the A cutoff :') Still, I didn't enjoy that class so much tho :(
  26. First time getting drunk and puking all night. Might've blacked out a bit.
  27. First time not wanting to get drunk ever again.
  28. First time picking up drawing again.
  29. First time telling my mom my biggest regret in life. I cried the entire night.
  30. First time accepting that it was not my fault.  
  31. First time meeting my most influential high school teacher after graduation.
  32. First time traveling with my brother abroad. Though China was not really a good experience.
  33. First time doing 50 non-stop pushups at 4000 m above sea level.
  34. First time living and working in London!
  35. First time hating the British weather.
  36. First time watching Romeo and Juliet, though a twisted version of it.
  37. First time cooking something decent that is not just chicken and soy sauce.
  38. First time opening a bank account in the UK to meet the requirement as IBO guide, and then closed the account right after. 
  39. First time being back in the IBO, guiding the best two teams in the world <3!
  40. First time doing the stupidest shit in the IBO (let's keep this a secret, Thomas)
  41. First time being confessed to. Sorry that I froze, I really didn't expect it at all. You're an amazing person, nevertheless, and you'll find someone else far better than me :)
  42. First time reading a novel while in college.
  43. First time celebrating Independence Day in the UK. I finally ate tempe bacem outside Indonesia.
  44. First time watching a live soccer game. My dad was proud.
  45. First time being on a pub crawl. 
  46. First time watching Game of Thrones. I'm all caught up now!
  47. First time liking the taste of beer. Dark beer to be exact, after months of drinking experience in Germany and UK. (Being unbiased here, Ireland's Guinness is the bomb!)
  48. First time being in Scotland! So lucky that it didn't rain during most part of the trip. Got myself a beautiful picture of a Heilan Coo.
  49. First time missing a flight. Fk you Canada!
  50. First time getting published in a scientific journal.
  51. First time seeing Hasan Minhaj and Leslie Jones perform stand-up comedy.
  52. First time actually enjoying my class at MIT.
  53. First time on an Imagine Dragon's concert.
  54. First time 3D printed, laser cutted, and so forth. I feel like a MechE now.
  55. First time using a Pixel phone. Much better than Samsung.
  56. First time trying wddd. If you're related to me genetically, before you get mad, I can explain.
  57. First time on a Rich Chigga's concert. Boi he's so lit.
  58. First time eating too much spice. Puked all night long.
  59. First time having a smart speaker in my room. Life changing!
  60. First time volunteering at a pantry while (somewhat) drunk.
  61. First time compiling an amazing playlist on Spotify.
  62. First time getting the highest grade on a midterm while at MIT. I've gotten multiple 2 Stds above average here, gotten 100s too, but never been a sole first placed in a midterm.
  63. First time getting a B on a midterm while at MIT, on the same class as no. 62, after (so foolishly) taunting the professor. I'm so ashamed.
  64. First time celebrating Thanksgiving outside Next House.
  65. First time dancing in the drunk show 'appropriately'
  66. I lied. I actually got really drunk again later in the year. First time getting so hung over I couldn't leave the bed.
  67. First time, for two consecutive days, pulling an all-nighter to finish school work. I swear, no more getting drunk again next time #pinkypromise 
  68. First time not having a final at all on Finals week. 
  69. First time blogging at a more consistent basis.
  70. First time able to play A Team on guitar, finally yasss!
  71. First time going to an Indonesian mass in the US.
  72. First time celebrating Christmas with a loved one away from home.
And 2017, that's a wrap! See you on the other side.




Comments