Redefining Music, 2017

Language: English

So Spotify recently (more like a month ago) released this new feature called '2017 Wrapped', where it summarizes (with some machine learning and all that, I suppose) my music taste based on songs I listened to on the app. Given that I only listen to music through Spotify, and not any other app, I expected the prediction to be accurate, if not representative. Here's what it says for me: 



I must say, Spotify did come with some good guesses. It came close, yes, but not entirely right. For instance, my #1 song of the year is definitely not Rise Up. It's somewhere up there, for sure, but not the top of my list. Therefore, in light of this, I'm making my own compilation of top songs that I listen in 2017. To make things easier for me, I will only name a song per artist, so that I can a variety of styles listed. In no particular order whatsoever, here's my top 21 songs/artist of 2017 (with the first five as mentioned up there. And 21 cause, why not?), linked to Spotify app for your listening convenience:

Super powerful rock song, very much what you expect of Imagine Dragon. The bridge always gives me the chills.

Another (lyrically) dumb song from Rich Chigga, but this one with very legit upbeats. I must say Keith Ape killed his part way better than my Indonesian boi. 

No, this is not a mistake. My number one song for number one album of the year is not your Humble, but DNA. DNA has the overall better rap beat and lyric, though Humble does come with one of the best music video I've seen my entire life. 

If not for Kendrick, Chance's album, Coloring Book, would've been my favorite rap album of the year (even though it is released in 2016, I haven't heard of it until early this year). No Problem is the headliner of this piece.

Here comes the first of the less known artists on my list. Her other song, Youth, is also another solid piece. 

Khalid's American Teen is hands down the best non-rap album of 2017. So many good music here, Location, Coaster, Winter, Young, Dumb and Broke, and so forth. But the best one, if I must say, is the closing piece, Angels. One of the most heartfelt songs of the year.

There's something about Frank Ocean's musicality that is so refreshing. I just want to say I can't wait for his new album to be released next year (or so he says).

8. Carry You and Terraform - Novo Amor
This is the one artist with two songs I can't choose from; both are just so good! Carry you is prolly one of most beautiful piece I heard all year long, and Terraform, which apparently is helping a campaign for miners at Kawah Ijen, is just sweet sounding, you can't help but listen over and over again.

If you've never heard any of his songs, then I suggest you better get a life soon. Similar to Novo Amor, Bon Iver delivers harmonious falsetto that can easily put you to sleep.

Been listening to this since 2016, never will stop. One of the most under appreciated musicians ever. Check out also Surprise Yourself!

There was a time where this song would start any of my playlist. Definitely try it with a headphone on.

Not gonna lie, this prolly has one of the most powerful lyrics out there. I even listened to his 1 hr long pod cast just to understand them and the beauty of his music. Definitely check out his work, and he makes awesome covers too!

Just a funky, 'bouncy' song to listen to!

If you need a song to cheer you up at a bad day, this is the song for you!

This song is just so good, especially at the break it down part! I wonder why no one ever talks about it tho.

God I love the tabla! And check out Lifetime too! Actually, check out their entire album instead, it's pretty legit and refreshing pop. 

When words company orchestral music, magic happens

Another one of those good dance songs

Don't listen to Marshmello's version. The original is surprisingly much better. 

Listen to the remix version, his original is pretty trash

This guy sounds high all the time, I like it.

Runner Ups (if you can really runner ups at this point. I'm just making a separate section so I don't have to link everything up):

Hero - Family of the Year
Save Myself - Ed Sheeran
Homemade Dynamite Remix - Lorde ft. Khalid, Post Malone, SZA
Privacy - Chris Brown
Sleeping World - Vancouver Sleep Clinic
Professional Rapper - Lil Dicky ft. Snoop Dogg
The Story Never Ends - Lauv
Sober - Bazzi
Weight in Gold - Gallant

I hope you share the same music taste, or at least get to sample some of mine (to start your year right ;) ). Enjoy, and happy new year!



Comments